Most people have never been involved in a car accident and for some people that will stay that way. Unfortunately, through no fault of your own, there is a high chance that during your lifetime you will be involved in at least one car accident. Being involved in a car accident can be an extremely traumatic experience. If you have never been involved in an accident you will likely have no idea what to do and this may cause you to panic.
To avoid that, we have devised a number of simple tips for you to follow if you are ever involved in an accident.
- Stay calm, keep your cool and don’t panic;
- Maintain the safety of yourself and others;
- Call 000 if you or anyone involved has suffered any injuries or there is significant damage;
- If possible, move your car to the side of the road where it is safe. However, if you are unable to do this put your hazard lights on and remain inside the vehicle;
- If you are able, once the vehicle has been relocated to where it is safe, exchange details, take photos of the accident scene, the vehicles involved, the other person’s licence and any injuries if visible;
- See a doctor as soon as possible and report all injuries, no matter how insignificant they may seem; and
- Seek legal advice as strict time limits apply.
We hope these simple tips are helpful and give you a better understanding of what you should do if you are ever involved in a car accident. If you have been injured in a car accident and believe you may be entitled to compensation please seek urgent legal advice as strict time limits apply.